The Miami skyline may soon be home to the tallest building in the state of Florida. Skyrise Miami is set to begin construction in the second quarter of 2019. The estimated $400 million project will liven up the shoreline with a 1,000-foot entertainment and observation tower.
Construction to Begin on a Vertical Theme Park
Skyrise Miami is a vertical theme park, which will be constructed in the downtown area, overlooking Biscayne Bay. It will offer a 40-mile view of the entire Miami area. The project, which was first proposed in 2014, is projected to be completed by 2023.
The planning of the construction has reportedly been complicated, because the first 500 feet of the tower will not be used. The construction of the building will now require a structural steel and concrete design that hasn’t been used before in this area of Florida.
What Skyrise may Look Like
The ambitious Skyrise Miami project, which has been approved for 1,045 feet, will include many innovative elements, including:
- Skyplunge, a base-jumping activity where people can be attached to a high-speed descent wire that plummets at 55 miles per hour.
- Skydrop, a feature where riders slowly climb more than 600 feet and then drop at free fall speeds up to 95 miles per hour.
- Skyrise Flying Theater, a ride in which 72 people are secured in seats that are suspended 40 feet in the air after the floor drops out.
- The world’s tallest rotating observation attraction.
- A zero-gravity tunnel that allows visitors to float to the top of the tower.
- Skywalk, an attraction where tethered strollers can walk out onto the open air, 908 feet above ground.
- A transparent slide with a panoramic view of Miami.
- A transparent deck that is 866 feet above ground.
The tower will also include restaurants, nightclubs and catering halls.
Skyrise Miami will be Florida’s Tallest Building … for now
Once finished, Skyrise Miami will be the tallest structure, not just in Miami, but in all of Florida. Today, Panorama Tower, which is 868 feet tall, is the biggest building in Florida.
However, Skyrise’s new claim to fame may not last long. More skyscrapers are being planned for the area in the coming years, including a Waldorf Astoria hotel-condo tower that may be more than 1,000 feet tall.
As development heats up in Florida, be on the lookout for many more construction projects on the rise.