fimpennato No Comments
Recognizing Mold exposure symptoms Isn't always easy.

Recognizing Mold exposure symptoms Isn't always easy.

Recognizing mold exposure symptoms isn’t always easy.  If your house has been subjected to water damage or heavy humidity, it might be possible that mold has grown.  Upon recognizing a mold problem in a home, or on a job site, it is important to protect yourself and recognize if you are suffering from mold exposure.  Most times, people suffer and don’t even know it.  The main reason for this is that they will assume their symptoms are from the common cold, hay fever, or flu.

There are three main types of symptoms from Mold damage.  The first of them are allergic and irritant symptoms.  It’s common that mold symptoms will show up due to mold allergies.  In the event that you inhale mold spores your immune system will create defenses against the foreign particles.  The more you are subjected to the mold the more sensitive to it they will become.  If the person performing work or repair begins to have symptoms that are unbearable, they should seek medical help.  Mold exposure symptoms from allergies include Cold or flu like symptoms coughing, sneezing, sore throat, irritated or itchy throat, blocked nose, itchy nose, runny nose, sinus congestion, sinus headaches, difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, Wheezing, Irritated, itchy skin, Skin rash, hives, Watery eyes, Red, bloodshot eyes, Itchy eyes, Itchy ears, and Hay fever symptoms.

The next group of symptoms are from Toxic Exposure to Toxic Mold.  There are 16 species of mold that are toxic to humans.  These highly toxic cultures are called mycotoxins which cause symptoms worse than allergies.  Symptoms of this type of exposure include bleeding, damage to internal organs, mental impairment, cancer and even death in some cases.  The most dangerous and toxic mycotoxin is black mold.

The last type of mold exposure symptoms can be classified as infections.  This occurs when mold spores are breathed into a person’s lungs and begin to grow.  Affected areas include the sinuses, skin, and digestive system.  Those most vulnerable to this type of infection are the young or elderly.  This is due in part to the fact that their immune systems are no strong enough to fight off the contagions.

As a contractor, it’s important to know and understand all the possible symptoms for mold exposure.  Neglecting these warning signs not only poses a risk for yourself and your employees, but will also have implications on insurance.  Be sure you have the proper workers comp policy in order, or you may be facing a claim in the future.  Contact one of our insurance professionals today if you have any questions.

Leave a Reply